City Council Chamber, 1st floor, City Hall

February 12, 2019

4:00 p.m.


Location: City Council Chamber, City Hall – St. James Building; 117 West Duval Street


In attendance: Council Members Aaron Bowman (President), Greg Anderson, Danny Becton, Lori Boyer, Anna Lopez Brosche, Garrett Dennis, Al Ferraro, Terrance Freeman, Reginald Gaffney, Bill Gulliford, Tommy Hazouri, Jim Love, Joyce Morgan, Sam Newby, Ju’Coby Pittman, Matt Schellenberg, Randy White, Scott Wilson


Also: Peggy Sidman, Paige Johnston, Shannon Eller – Office of General Counsel; Kim Taylor – Council Auditor’s Office; Carol Owens, Jessica Matthews  and Juliette Williams – Legislative Services Division; Steve Cassada – Council Staff Services; Jeff Clements – Council Research Division; Sam Mousa, Brian Hughes, Jordan Elsbury. Leeann Krieg and Chiquita Moore – Mayor’s Office; John Pappas – Public Works Department;  Angela Moyer – Finance and Administration Department; Bill Killingsworth and Folks Huxford – Planning and Development Department; Kirk Wendland – Office of Economic Development


Meeting Convened: 4:05 p.m.


President Bowman called the meeting to order and announced that there will be 3 presentations at the start of the meeting. Mr. Bowman asked for the committee chairs’ reports.


LUZ Committee: Council Member Schellenberg reviewed the actions of the committee from its meeting.


Finance Committee: Council Member Anderson reviewed the actions of the committee from its meeting.


Rules Committee: Council Member Hazouri reviewed the actions of the committee from its meeting. President Bowman said he understood that Council Member Crescimbeni will ask for 2018-789 (Creating New Sec 122.823 (Limitations on Use of Tangible Personal Propty with Name of Elected Official), Chap 122 (Public Propty), Ord Code, to Provide for a Limitation on Purchase of Office Supplies with Name of Elected Officials) to be withdrawn.


NCSPHS Committee: Council Member Newby said that all actions of the committee have already been covered.


TEU Committee: Council Member Ferraro said that all actions of the committee have already been covered.


President Bowman said there would be a 1-item Addendum to the Agenda to amend the membership categories of the Task Force on Crime and Public Safety to make several members non-voting liaisons so as to prevent any difficulties related to the Government in the Sunshine Law caused by members needing to communicate with each in their professional capacities outside of noticed Task Force meetings.


2018-861 (Rezoning 5221 University Blvd West btwn Richard St & I-95 from PUD to CCG-1)  and 2018-862 (Apv Zoning Exception T-2018-2054 at 5221 University Blvd West btwn Richard St & I-95): Council Member Boyer said that she will be announcing ex parte communication before action on the bill.


2019-93 (moving the March 19 Finance, Rules and LUZ Committee meetings to March 20 to avoid conflict with City election day): emergency 1st reading approval with amendment will be requested.


Council Member Becton said that the TEU Committee had recommended withdrawal of2018-789; in the absence of further instruction from Council Member Crescimbeni, Mr. Anderson said he would move withdrawal and then the Council will discuss the appropriate action.


Regarding 2019-93, Council Member Schellenberg asked if the Council shouldn’t also move the City Council meeting on May 14th as well since it conflicts with the May Election Day? Deputy General Counsel Peggy Sidman said that the Council Rules already provide that full council meetings are automatically moved in the event of a conflict with Election Day, but the provision does not apply to committee meetings, thus the need for this bill.


2018-747 (ORD-MC Amend Sec 21.07 (Fiscal & Budgetary Functions), Article 21 (JEA), City Charter, relating to JEA's Annual Contribution Payment): Council Member Schellenberg asked the administration for information before 5:00 p.m. meeting on value of BMAP credits the City will be receiving under this agreement.


President Bowman said it appears likely the Florida Legislature will take up Short Term Rental (i.e. Airbnb) regulation this session, so he intends to hold off on having the Special Committee on Short Term Rentals take any action until the issue is debated in the Legislature.


Council Member Dennis introduced his new Executive Council Assistant Taryn Roberts.


Meeting adjourned: 4:16 p.m.


Minutes: Jeff Clements, Council Research Division

904-630-1405   jeffc@coj.ent

2.12.19     Posted 5:00 p.m.


Tape:   City Council agenda meeting 2.12.19 – LSD